Thursday 31 July 2008

What did I just give to Asia Argento's father?

I don't normally have pictures taken when I go overseas because: I don't have a camera; I don't like leaving evidence; and I prefer things to remain in the hazy realm of memory without prompters.

But a highlight of the recent Pesaro Film Festival is when I got to meet Italian horror maestro Dario Argento, who was being honoured with a retrospective. I have admired his films ever since I first saw them on VHS (yes kids, there was such a format!) over a decade ago. I started with Suspuria. And in Pesaro I got to see his Opera on the big-screen, which is really where his work should be seen, as his brand of delirium loses a lot when writ small.

Agento was a big influence when we were making Susuk (others were Brian De Palma and Almodovar, if you can imagine that). Trust Fadz to notice. So I grabbed this opportunity to pose for a big cheesy picture with him:


The DVD we are holding is an Indonesian slasher movie by my old pal Paul Agusta, which I gave as a present. Paul's movie is very low on rupiah but high on creepiness, grit and chutzpah. I hope to organise a screening of it in KL soon, with the director in attendance of course. Bring hot dogs with extra-red ketchup.

5 comments:

Khyrel said...

At first glance of the pic, I was wondering whose birthday was it or who was indonesian at least? Ah, DVD. So neat!

I am not big at horror films.

And btw, what is VHS? I must hadnt been born yet then. Lol.

Anonymous said...

thx amir, and the pic with dario? aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Anonymous said...

q: dario dah tgk Susuk?

Amir Muhammad said...

wallahu-alam ;-)

Anonymous said...

damn! I just only watched Suspiria. Dario Argento is great! Was Devan inspired by the multicoloured lighting of Suspiria? You like Alejandro Jodorowsky's stuff?