Thursday 14 February 2008

My life as a typo

Whenever I buy a new book on contemporary Malaysia, the first thing I do is to flip to the index to determine:

1. If it has an index
2. If I am in it

Both are happily true in the case of this compilation by Ooi Kee Beng, the author of that Tun Ismail biography:


Although I am present and accounted for on page 79, my name is misspelled! And the author has even met me before! I hope a reprint can rectify this egregious slip, which even Pak Lah is bound to notice.

Heh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amir
"... egregious slip, which even Pak Lah is bound to notice."

I'm curious by the above remark and must therefore get hold of the book.

Thank you for introducing Coupling to me via The Great Malaysian Essays 1. It is such a fascinating entertainment. Trust the BBC to come up with something fresh like that.

aMiR

Anonymous said...

Man, if I had a nickel for every time my name was misspelled, I might be able to finally get PR status here.

Thankfully, the one time my name has ever been mentioned in a book (the acknowledgements in Dina Zaman's I Am Muslim), it was spelled right. I don't have the book in front of me, but I think I remember it was correct (with a big V, even, imagine that).

Wira Budiman said...

Dang them publication typos.. hehe..

Anonymous said...

Amir Amir, deepest apologies. So very sorry.

To make up for it...should you ever have reason to jot my name down anywhere and anytime in the future, please feel free to spell my name wrong. But only once, OK?

How are you man? Love your "darndest" book.

Kee Beng

Amir Muhammad said...

Kee Beng! Do keep 'New Malaysian Essays' in mind if you have new stuff that's appropriate ;-)